Biden’s White House rejected Trump’s demands for executive privilege

(CNN) – President Joe Biden has once again refused to implement Management Privilege Among the many documents that former President Donald Trump tried to avoid reaching the Commission of Inquiry January 6 To the United States Capital.

According to a letter received by CNN, White House adviser Dana Remus on Monday told National Archivist David Ferrero that Trump would not keep secret the right to exercise his privilege on additional items.

The former president has already filed a lawsuit against Congress for blocking the transfer of documents he believes to be a privilege to Congress, the custodian of his administration’s White House records, and the latest documents will become part of it. If Trump does not receive a court order, the National Archives will begin transferring records to the House of Representatives on November 12.

“President Biden has considered the former president’s claim, and I have consulted with the Office of the Public Adviser to the Judiciary,” Remus wrote.

“September 16, 2021 and September 23. According to documents submitted to the White House on September 2021, President Biden has ruled that asserting executive privilege is not in the best interest of the United States and therefore unnecessary. As a result, President Biden did not defend the former president’s claim of privilege.

Watch the Capitol storm blow from the middle of the crowd 0:42

Remus quoted a letter to the National Archives highlighting the “extraordinary events” of the day. The senior White House attorney also noted that 30 days after the announcement to Trump, Biden instructed the National Archives to submit the documents to the Commission “without any intervention court order.”

See also  Second Trigger Checks: 200 1,200 Direct Payments may be re-scheduled

The White House told the National Archives earlier this month that it would not implement the executive prerogative in the initial documents requested by the Jan. 6 Commission.

During a press conference at the White House at the time, Press Secretary Jen Zhaki said, “The president has decided that it is not necessary to assert executive rights to the first set of Trump White House documents that we have provided to the National Archives.”

“As we said before, this is an ongoing process, it is only the first set of documents,” he said. “Furthermore, we will assess the issues of privilege separately, but the President has made it clear that he believes it is important for Congress and the American people to have a full understanding of the events. That day to prevent them from happening again.”

As part of the House Select Committee’s detailed investigation, the panel has sent information requests to various federal agencies. Since January 6, the Commission has specifically called for “all documents and communications in the White House” to include calls, hours and recordings of meetings with senior officials and external advisers, including Rudy Giuliani.

Legal experts say Biden has a final say on whether these documents are under administrative jurisdiction, and that Trump’s authority to influence the decision is an open question, given that the panel is led by members of Biden’s party.

CNN’s Evan Perez, Zachary Cohen and Katelyn Polantz contributed to this report.

Eden Hayes

"Wannabe gamer. Subtly charming beer buff. General pop culture trailblazer. Incurable thinker. Certified analyst."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top