Are all people living in Qatar rich?

(CNN Spanish) — Qatar is One of the richest countries in the world In terms of gross domestic product (GDP) per capita, this select group has been around for decades.

Driven by its vast oil and, above all, gas resources in the Persian Gulf, the country is a Poor British defence In the first half of the 20th century, its main activity was pearl farming, a regional power.

But does this mean that everyone living in Qatar is rich?

Wealth of Qatar

Qatar’s real GDP in 2021 is projected to reach $93,500 Information of the World Bank. Thus, it will be The sixth richest country in the worldBehind Liechtenstein, Monaco, Luxembourg, Singapore, and Ireland, according to the CIA World Factbook.

A bus carrying portraits of the Emir of Qatar is seen as Qataris take to the streets of Doha on September 24, 2017. (Credit: KARIM JAAFAR/AFP via Getty Images)

According to the estimates, Qatar may move up or down a few places on the list, and in 2012 it rose Considered to be the richest country on the planet, its per capita GDP fell hand in hand with oil prices in the following years. But in any case, there is no doubt that Qatar is one of the richest in the world.

Qatar’s economy is almost entirely based on oil and gas extraction A huge reservoir in the Persian Gulf –South Pars-North Dome natural gas field, the world’s largest– which it shares with Iran.

His greatest Business partners They are all Asian countries: China, India, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, among the major countries.

These important oil and gas resources, a A small population of 2.9 million, The per capita GDP of the country is very high.

Qatar responded to Hummel’s protest with rejection 0:51

Is everyone in Qatar rich?

Like other Persian Gulf countries, Qatar has attracted migrant workers in recent decades, especially as it hosted the 2022 World Cup and needed to build stadiums and other infrastructure to host the tournament.

In 2010, when Qatar was selected by FIFA, its population was approx 1.8 million people. This number is high 2.9 million According to World Bank data.

Before that, however, migrant workers were already pouring into the country to build its modern cities.

Of the current total of 2.9 million, 2 million are migrant workers (resp Human Rights Watch. Such is the assessment World Bank, It puts the figure at about 2,200,000 (or 75% of the total population).

Also, Qataris are rare 11.6% of the populationThe remaining 88.4% consisted of migrant workers and permanent residents, corresponding to other ethnic groups.

Although social and health statistics show Qatar’s excellent performance (a Life expectancy Almost 80 years old Very low infant mortality and highly educated), inequalities exist and focus precisely on these migrant workers.

It is difficult to accurately measure inequality in Qatar because the country does not provide data Create a Gini indexUsually used to measure and compare inequality.

Qatar has come under global scrutiny after thousands of deaths were reported among migrant workers who frequent the world’s poorest countries. Perform dangerous tasks in extreme heat and low pay All within the framework of a system known as Kafala It restricts the freedom of workers.

When Qatar sets up in 2021 Minimum salary US$275 per month.

See also  The Pentagon will be led by one person for the first time

Esmond Harmon

"Entrepreneur. Social media advocate. Amateur travel guru. Freelance introvert. Thinker."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top