Since it legalized sports betting and opened its markets in January 2023, Ohio has been a haven for sports betting enthusiasts in the state. With DraftKings being one of the leading sportsbooks nationwide, Ohioans can enjoy a highly-rated platform that offers a comprehensive betting experience.
If you’re only now joining the millions of bettors across Ohio, don’t worry. Our guide to sports betting with DraftKings will ensure you have all the information you need. From creating an account to discussing various betting strategies, we’re here to help you hit the ground running.
Brief history of sports betting legislation in Ohio
Even though the Supreme Court overturned the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) in 2018, Ohio didn’t do anything about it until late 2021. On December 8, 2021, Ohio lawmakers introduced House Bill 29, which contained provisions to allow online and retail sports betting. The bill quickly passed through both chambers of the Ohio government and on December 22, Governor Mike DeWine signed HB29 into law.
The Ohio Casino Control Commission spent 2022 preparing for the grand opening, issuing 40 mobile and retail sports betting licenses. On January 1, 2023, Ohio finally opened its sports betting market; the rest is history.
Why bet with DraftKings
With several bookmaker options, you might wonder why you should sign up with DraftKings instead of someone else.
That’s because DraftKings is one of the leading sportsbooks in the country, offering a wide variety of betting options across several major sporting leagues. They also provide a clean and user-friendly mobile interface, and their app has several tools and features to help beginner and expert bettors alike.
It also helps that DraftKings offers new users an attractive welcome bonus. This bonus typically come in the form of a deposit bonus, giving new users a leg-up in the betting scene.
Getting started with DraftKings
Setting up a DraftKings account is easy, but you must be at least 21 years old and be physically in Ohio when you set up your account. You’ll also need some form of identification, such as a driver’s license, to prove your identity and residency.
Once that’s done, you must establish a way to deposit money into your account. DraftKings accepts the following payment methods:
- Apple Pay.
- Bank wire transfer – minimum $100.
- Cash at cage – only at participating casinos.
- Cash at retail stores – Family Dollar, CVS Pharmacy, Dollar General, 7-Eleven; up to $500 daily or $10,000 monthly.
- Credit cards – Visa, Mastercard and Discover can be used for sportsbook and casino deposits. American Express is only available for fantasy sports deposits.
- Debit cards – Visa or Mastercard only.
- DraftKings gift cards.
- Electronic gift cards – American Express is only available for fantasy sports deposits.
- Online banking.
- PayPal – only with a verified account connected to a bank account in your name. PayPal Credit or PayPal Pay-in-4 cannot be used.
- Play+ prepaid card.
- Venmo – up to $2,999.99 per transaction and a total of $5,999.99 weekly
Don’t forget to set a withdrawal method for your funds. DraftKings allows you to withdraw your money using the following:
- Apple Pay.
- Bank wire transfer – processed Monday to Friday; withdrawal requests made after 10 am EST on a Friday won’t be processed until the following Monday.
- Cage – only at participating casinos; bring your ID.
- Checks – no PO box addresses allowed. Checks will only be sent to the name and address on your account, so make sure your address is accurate.
- Debit card – only if the card issuer allows it. You must deposit with this card first.
- Online banking.
- PayPal – no business accounts allowed.
- Play+ prepaid card.
- Trustly verified withdrawals.
- Venmo – no business accounts allowed.
How to bet with DraftKings
You can place a bet once your account and payment methods are ready.
First, determine which sport you want to bet on. DraftKings offers 20 different sports leagues, so you’re bound to find something you like. Whether you’re into the NFL or wish to explore cricket betting, DraftKings has you covered.
Next, see if a game in your selected sport or league is about to be played. The app should give you this information if you don’t know it beforehand. If the game is already live, you may be able to join in via live betting, though this depends on the sport.
Finally, it’s time to place a bet. The DraftKings website or mobile app will assist you in placing your bet; once you send it off, there’s nothing else to do but sit back, relax and watch the game. If you’re doing live betting, keep an eye out for updated stats so you can plan and adjust your bet accordingly.
Kinds of bets you can place with DraftKings
You can place several types of bets, some of which are specific to certain games. However, there are some universal bet types that you can use, regardless of the sport. Here are the most common ones:
- Moneyline bets – If you want to keep it simple without having to fiddle with odds, or you’re in a rush, moneyline bets are your best friend. All you need to do is bet on the team or player you think will win the match.
- Spread betting – Point spread betting involves betting on a “spread” that the team must “cover.” For example, if the Bengals have a spread of -10, they must win by more than 11 points against their opponents for your bet to be successful. But your bet will be unsuccessful if they win by 10 or fewer points.
- Over/under bets – These bets rely on a total statistic after the game’s conclusion. The most common is the total number of points scored by both teams, but it could also be the total number of yards passed by a quarterback or the total number of rebounds taken by a player. There’s usually a set total, and you bet on whether you think the game will end over or under that number.
- Parlays – Parlay betting combines two or more outcomes into one bet. For the bet to be successful, all of the events in the parlay must happen; if one fails, the wager will be unsuccessful, even if the other events are fine.
- Live betting – Perhaps the most exciting form of betting, live betting lets you place a wager while the game is ongoing. You typically don’t get much time to place your bet, so you must be quick and attentive to catch the next betting line. Depending on how fast-paced the game is, you’ll see yourself making bets every few minutes.
You’ve placed a bet – now what?
Now that you’ve placed a bet, the only thing left to do is watch the game and wait for the outcome – unless you’re doing live betting.
If you win and wish to withdraw the funds, navigate to the withdrawals page to start the process. How quickly you get your money depends on a few things, such as your withdrawal method and whether you’ve used a promotional credit.
However, if you want to keep your funds in your account, the only thing left to do is to place another bet.
With its advanced features, strategic tools and user-friendly interface, DraftKings is undoubtedly a top-tier choice for sports betting in Ohio. The numbers support it, too, with most players across the country preferring DraftKings over other sportsbooks. You’re in good hands with the Ohio Casino Control Commission’s protections and DraftKings’ unparalleled customer service.
So what are you waiting for? Make your account now and join your fellow Ohioans in betting.