Former NBA player Terrence Williams pleads guilty to fraud

NEW YORK — Former NBA player Terrence Williams has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud and identity theft in connection with a multimillion-dollar scandal against the league’s health care plan, officials said.

Williams, 35, pleaded guilty Friday in federal court in Manhattan. He is scheduled to be sentenced in January and faces a maximum of 20 years in prison for the conspiracy charge and a minimum of two years for the identity theft charge.

Williams is accused of being the leader of the scheme, which involved fraudulent claims and documents submitted to the league’s medical and dental reimbursement program.

He and 17 other former players were indicted in October 2021, and officials said at least $5 million in false claims were submitted to the scheme between 2017 and 2021.

Damian Williams, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, said Williams directed the scheme, recruited others to be part of it, and gave them false documents to submit.

Authorities said Williams received at least $300,000 in bribes from others for his efforts.

In situations where the victims objected, Williams posed as others and threatened them to obtain compliance, authorities said.

The former player was released before trial, but was taken into custody earlier this year and authorities told a judge he threatened a witness.

As part of the plea deal, Williams will repay $2.5 million to the program and turn over $650,000 to the federal government.

An email was sent to his attorney for comment.

See also  Shivas fans stopped the game by shouting 'Eh p * du' in the throw-in

Wilmot Chandler

"Explorer. Web specialist. Beer practitioner. Alcoholaholic. Social media geek. Introvert. Food lover. Future teen idol."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top