- BBC News World
In a series of messages shared on social networks, Pedro Castillo said this Monday that he did not resign as president of Peru and rejected the call for new elections proposed to replace him by President Tina Polvard.
Through his Twitter account, Castillo shared a letter in which he confirmed his presence “Shamed, uncommunicative, mistreated and kidnapped”Detention is mentioned as weighing against him when he is tried for the crime of “rebellion”.
He asked Peruvians not to fall into the “dirty game of new elections”, which he said was a “strategy of Peruvian right-wing political forces”.
Castillo was removed by Congress From Peru Last December 7 “Moral Impairment” by a Presidential Vacancy Movement.
Hours before the vote, the president dissolved Congress and ordered the installation of an emergency government.
Politicians from his government team and a majority of Congressmen described the order as unconstitutional.
Tina Polwart, Castillo’s then-vice president, was named the new president for a term that ends in July 2026.
Since then, Protests have escalated in Peru, Against the Congress and the new government.
As of Monday, at least two people have died in clashes between protesters and police.
What did Castillo say?
Since his message to the nation on December 7, Castillo has not made any public announcements.
In a letter posted on Twitter and dated December 12, he said he was addressing the Peruvian people “to reiterate my unconditional loyalty to the people and constitutional mandate that I hold as president.”
“I will not give up or give up my riseAand pious activities”he added.
Pointing out that he was “humiliated, incommunicado, mistreated and kidnapped” in the detention against him, he rejected Boluarte’s plan this Monday to approve the invitation to Congress. 2024 General Election.
Without mentioning the vice president by name, he said: “A usurer recently said that the coup is nothing more than the right wing’s drum and howl. So, people should not fall for their dirty game of new elections.”
He demanded his immediate release and reiterated his plan on December 7 for a referendum to agree to an assembly that would draft a new constitution.
This Monday, National Prosecutor Liz Patricia Benavides made a presentation Castillo was charged with “rebellion, conspiracy and grave disturbance of the public peace.”This opens legal action against the former president.
Remember that You can get notifications from BBC Mundo. Download the latest version of our apps and activate them so you never miss our best content.